The Glevum Probus Club is a  non-political organisation,
 meeting twice a month to promote frienship, via talks and other activities.
The Club is open to ALL retired and semi-retired men who will receive a warm welcome.
Ladies Days are held on a quarterly basis- when partners and friends are invited to attend.
The minutes listed on the website relate to a particular Club year: Feb 2022-Jan 2023

Minutes of Meeting held on Wednesday 13th July 2022

The meeting was needed to discuss  the running of Probus and  the annual lunch arrangements (not covered bty these minutes)

The need to wear name badges. Our memories are not what they used to be and to this end the Committee thinks it would be an idea to encourage members to wear the badges. The  Chairman will ask Don Young if he would be able to produce a new set and then we purchase the plastic name holders which can be clipped on to an item of clothing.

Greeter & vote of thanks. I have mentioned this before, but we still haven’t got off the ground with it. So, at the bottom of these minutes I will ask each one of you whether you would be prepared to partake in this quite important task. There can’t be anything worse for a Speaker than to arrive and not be met by a member who can settle him/her in, attend to their needs and provide a drink. I will draw up a list of volunteers so that I can ask individuals to help as appropriate. There are about 22 meetings a year then theoretically, you’ll only be asked once a year to perform.

The question of communication was discussed, wondering whether a form of Newsletter every 6 – 8 weeks would be worthwhile and the view of the Committee was that the Glevum Probus Website would be sufficient.

That old chestnut ‘recruitment’ raised its head again. We spoke of various advertising platforms but in the end decided that ’word of mouth’ was possibly the best way, as other ways had been tried in the past, but results didn’t really warrant us going down that road again.

Our next meeting on the 27th July is a Ladies Day gathering, so don’t forget to bring your nearest and dearest along. The subject of the talk is “Jack in the Green”, a revival of an old Gloucestershire May Day Tradition. This will be given by one of our members – Mike Bottomley

As you will be aware, on the 10th August, three of our members will be talking to us about “My first car” Hopefully this will be a successful venture and if so the intention will be to hold other ‘self help’ meetings with the next one possibly being “Bring an object”.  As you will all be aware the cost of speakers is continually rising and if we want to attract interesting Speakers in the future then we will have to be prepared to pay the going rate. This is why the ‘self help’ meetings are so important. Watch this space!

Minutes of  Committee Meeting Wednesday 23rd March 2022


 Confirmed as  £20 payable by end of April 2022  Pay by BACS / cheques/cash. Ken to email members


 Amended to allow officers to stay longer than 2 yrs                                  

Draft constitution to be published  on the club website .

EGM to be ratify on  27 April when Ken is giving his talk;


 Ken to contact David and to indicate that he must relinquish all aspects of the Treasurer’s job and pass to Fred.This has been actioned and David will contact Fred.

Fred to be responsible for maintaining spreadsheets of attendance.


Mike has agreed to carry out the role of secretary in respect of taking & publishing minutes but no other function.Secretary needs to be appointed  at EGM.


To be the responsibility of the “proposer” but if not possible the role is to be passed to the Committee


 Mike to target to keep speaker costs at an average of £40. Mike indicated that with the number of reciprocal talks in hand this would be feasible for the rest of the year. Speakers to be paid by BACS or cash (cheque is last resort)


All to inform Fred by email  if not recorded in attendance book       


Agreed to  encourage members to visit on a regular basis. (minimise paper).

  In future any communication eg Newsletters is to be via the website.

However we will need A.N.Other to be 2 I/C to Mike in case of problems both for website and Speakers secretary role (Discuss at EGM on 27April).

Historical Records

 Propose only hold for 2 years, keep them on the website with Chairman responsible for master copy.


Mike has a new one which he is prepared for Glevum  to use , and will charge   £10 per use (up to max of £100) for the purchase of new bulb when necessary. Ken also has access to a projector and same arrangement will apply.


Graham will look after the running of it but will require help and with washing up and clearing away. 50p donation will still apply.

Meet and Greet

Names to be used from the old list & the individual to be asked at the meeting prior  to his role.


Mike to set up “teach-in”

Members Talks 

 My first car’  to be given by Stuart Mitchell, Nigel Sargeant & Ted Wilson

 Hopefully a further meeting of this type to be arranged for later in the year (Discuss at EGM)